Mono Basin and Hot Creek Area

This 1920's power shovel was used in the building of Clover Ditch around the SE side of Mono Basin. It was intended to be a 30-mile canal to carry Rush Creek water and irrigate land SE of Mono Lake. It has a gasoline engine and cable to control the shovel. Only 7.5 miles of the ditch were dug because the porous sandy soil held water for just 2 miles.